Skip to Main Content

Skip to Sidebar / Section Navigation

Skip to Main Navigation

Current VCIL Health & Wellness Activities

Enhancing Primary Care Services for Vermonters Enrolled in Primary Care Plus:

The Vermont Center for Independent Living’s Collaboration with The Vermont Medical Home Project

The Vermont Center for Independent Living (VCIL) is a statewide disability rights organization dedicated to ensuring that individuals with disabilities live with dignity and with appropriate support in their own homes, fully participate in their communities, and control and make decisions about their lives.

VCIL is partnering with the Vermont Medical Home Project to enhance primary care services for Vermonters enrolled in Primary Care Plus. Some of these efforts include:

  • Conducting interviews and completing surveys of providers and consumers to gather information and make recommendations regarding services to individuals with chronic conditions
  • Collecting and distributing information and resources on best practices in serving individuals with chronic conditions in primary care practices
  • Information and referral services, including web-based resources, to people with disabilities for self-advocacy strategies in managing their health and working with providers
  • Training VCIL staff and peer leaders to facilitate further community education modeled on the Montana Independent Living Center and the University of Montana’s “Living Well with a Disability” course
  • Developing a peer resource component for the Office of Vermont Health Access’s chronic care model
  • Publishing our findings in The Independent and provider newsletters

For more information, please contact the Vermont Center for Independent Living at 1-800-639-1522.


Where to advertise for attendants:

  • Put an ad in the newspaper. If your area has a local weekly like the Hardwick Gazette, these are particularly useful
  • Homeshare Vermont (in certain counties) can try to match you with someone
  • Bulletin boards (such as outside your local grocery store)
  • Call your local home health agency
  • Call one of the 5 statewide local area agencies on aging

Your responsibilities as an employer:

  • Hire/fire attendants
  • Train
  • Supervise
  • Follow regulations
  • Complete timesheets
  • Live independently outside of a nursing home

Appeals Process: (If you disagree with a decision made on your behalf)

  • First, call the PDAC office 802-241-2196
  • There will be an informational review after the phone call to PDAC
  • If there is still no resolution, you can write a letter to the Commissioner. The Commissioner will meet with you, either over the phone or in person
  • If there is still no resolution, there can be a hearing by the Human Services Board, and you will need representation by either legal aid or an attorney

How to report abuse:

  • Call the PDAC office 802-241-2196
  • Talk to the annual evaluator
  • Write a letter to PDAC
  • ** Keep in mind that PDAC person is a mandated reporter

Be sure to:

  • Screen and interview people you may possibly hire
  • Do a background check through the department of licensing

Miscellaneous information:

  • An attendant can be paid for up to 30 days during a hospital stay
  • Pay stops during time you spend in a nursing home
  • There is no respite care
  • An attendant can be paid for up to 6 weeks if you leave the state and they come with you to work
  • You may have as many attendants as you want